Thursday, October 25, 2007

Too Long?

I have seen only one other movie directed by Sergio Leone, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I know; I'm sorry.

But I would like to write about something that I noticed that the great director does in at least both of the movies I've seen in which he directs.

He seems to have had all the time in the world when he was directing becasue in both of the movies it can take forever to watch (not that's a bad thing). That time is usually filled up by having the good guy/hero stare at the bad guy forever. Other times when Leone will simply carry on a scene for a very long time. An example of this is the end of The Good the Bad and the Ugly and various parts of Once Upon a Time in the West, such as when Morton is crawling on the ground towards the end, and sees Frank.

However I'm sure Leone didn't do it to piss viewers off. I think, and an sure he did it to build up the dramatic affect and build up the characters.

Even though it can be long I think he still makes great movies. Well, I like the ones I've seen so far.

No comments: